The landscape in the government and school district industry is constantly changing and continues to challenge everyone. Local governments and school districts are impacted daily by a myriad of legislative, legal, social, economic, labor and environmental challenges.
With over 30 years of experience working with governmental entities and school districts, the BSSF Government and School District Practice understands the changes and challenges you face. Our team is well positioned to monitor and advise you of these changes and has three seasoned audit principals within the practice, one of whom will assume lead audit principal responsibilities. We also have a team of 18 auditors who spend a majority of their time in the governmental and school district industry and will provide your organization with the expertise and specific knowledge you require.
What Types of Governmental Entities and School Districts Do We Serve?
Our team has extensive experience providing services to various governmental entities and school districts, including but not limited to:
- Local governments and subdivisions such as cities, counties, towns, townships etc.
- Authorities and instrumentalities such as hospitals, libraries, soil and water conservation districts and transportation systems
- School districts and charter schools
What Services Do We Provide?
Our services for local governments and school districts include:
- Audits of Basic Financial Statements
- Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) Review
- Preparation of State Financial Reports
- Agreed-Upon Procedures
- Outsourced Bookkeeping
We have significant experience in dealing with the intricacies of auditing federal programs including program-specific audits, preparing borrowing base certificates and performing internal control reviews. Additionally, we have performed Single Audits and Grant Audits related to U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) funding, Local Share Gaming grant funding and Community Development Block Grant funding, Industrial Sites Cleanup Fund Grant, the Keystone Communities Program Grant and the Department of Health and Human Services Energy Assistance Program for our local government clients, just to name a few.
Through our experience, our professionals specializing in the government and school district industry showcase five key criteria that set us apart from competitors.
- Excellent client service – Several of our governmental entity and school district clients have been with us for many years and continue to refer us to similar types of organizations.
- Expertise within the governmental industry – Our practice includes 41 local government and four school district entities, along with three charter schools and one independent school.
- Credentials – Two of our Government and School District Practice principals have received the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants’ “Certificate of Educational Achievement in Governmental Accounting and Auditing.” BSSF is a member of the Government Audit Quality Center (GAQC) of the AICPA, which promotes the importance of quality and value of governmental audits. Our membership allows us access to helpful resources and member-to-member forums to discuss audit issues and share best practices.
- Qualifications – We are qualified to perform audits in accordance with Government Auditing Standards and Uniform Guidance (Single Audit).
- Assistance meeting entities’ needs – Our Government and School District Practice principals have worked with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s Department of Community and Economic Development, the Pennsylvania Auditor General’s Office and the Maryland Department of Legislative Services to resolve client issues. They also have assisted entities with Debt Statements and Borrowing Base Certificates pursuant to the Local Government Unit Debt Act.
Why Choose BSSF For Your Government or School District Needs?
With over 30 years of experience working with governmental entities and school districts, the team at BSSF is prepared to provide niche-specific accounting, auditing, and consulting services to your organization.
We have helped with the preparation of Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports under the Government Finance Officers Association’s Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting and performed internal control reviews. We also have experience with government borrowing base certificates and debt statement preparation.
We understand that, in order to provide accurate, professional services, it is important to first have a full understanding of the expectations of our clients. Many of our professionals are members of various government and school organizations in the region including the Pennsylvania Government Finance Officers Association and the Pennsylvania Association of School Business Officials.
BSSF is equipped with the most up-to-date accounting tools and information and will apply our experience with specialized accounting issues that are unique to your organization. Contact BSSF today and find out more about our services!